Effective: January 1, 2023
Last Reviewed: July 12, 2023
Updates to Policy, Accessibility of Policy, and Regional Differences
Updates to Policy. From time to time, we may change our privacy practices which will require changes to this Policy. The latest version of this Policy will be posted on our websites at the page it has historically appeared and the date it was Last Reviewed will be displayed. We encourage you to look for updates and changes to this Policy when you access our websites.
Your continued use of our websites following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes with respect to your use of our websites.
Accessibility. If you have special needs with regard to accessing the content of this Policy, we recommend that you or someone on your behalf, contact us at: [email protected]
Notice to California Residents. If you are a California resident, you may have additional privacy rights. Due to the detailed requirements under California privacy laws, please review the VIU by Hub Privacy Notice for California Residents for information about these additional rights.
Definition and Exclusions of Personal Information at VIU by Hub
Generally, “Personal Information” means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) you, such as your name, postal address, email address, and telephone number. Due to the nature of our business as described under “Information Collection” below, Personal Information may also include:
- your name, Social Security Number, driver’s license or other government-issued identification;
- assets and income, occupation and employment status, dependent information and other relevant financial information;
- information relating to any of your past claims;
- information from reporting agencies and state and federal government agencies, such as state motor vehicle departments;
- information from other sources, such as medical or health care providers and other third parties with which you or we maintain a relationship;
- your account activity and premium payment history;
- credit card, bank account or other account information as may be required to facilitate your payment of insurance premium or similar amounts, which payment generally is made through systems maintained by third parties, such as insurance carriers; and
- passive tracking information from our website or the Internet, including information obtained through the use of internet “cookies.”
Personal Information does not include aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
We are generally unable to perform insurance brokerage or other insurance or financial industry services on your behalf without collecting, using, or disclosing your Personal Information. Typically, you will provide this required information to us directly within insurance applications or in connection with other communications. Other times, we may receive this and other Personal Information from third parties, including insurance carriers and other industry service providers, and other third parties with which you maintain a relationship (for example, your employer or financial service or medical or health providers). We may also develop this information over time based on your direct or indirect interactions with us, such as through the use of “cookies” on our websites.
Please keep in mind that when you provide information to us on a third party site or platform, the information you provide may be separately collected by the third party site or platform. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of other sites that may collect your Personal Information.
We generally collect the amount and types of Personal Information that are required for us to perform or support services on your behalf. This includes information that may be required by an insurance carrier or an industry service provider in the course of providing you with insurance coverage or related services. If you use our websites, we may collect information about your device, browser and other information regarding your web usage using tracking tools described in this policy. This and other information may include the Personal Information as defined above.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies:
We may use “cookies” and other technologies such as web beacons on our websites. These technologies help us to better understand user behavior including for security and fraud prevention purposes, for information about which parts of our websites people have visited, and to facilitate and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and web searches.
- Communications Cookies. These cookies are used to enable network traffic to and from our systems, including by helping us detect any errors.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are set as required to provide a specific feature or service that you have accessed or requested and that cannot be provided without the use of such cookies.
- Other Cookies. These cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with our websites and online services, including by helping us to assess the effectiveness web searches and so we can provide you with a more customized experience.
If you prefer that we not use certain cookies, we provide you with the means to disable their use where possible. Certain features of our website may not be available if all cookies are disabled, and therefore, disabling, particularly of strictly necessary cookies, may not be available. We generally treat data we collect using these cookies and similar technologies as nonpersonal data.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We generally only disclose your Personal Information to perform services on your behalf and provide you with the insurance products and services you expect from us. In addition, in order to operate our business and to you with the services you request from us, information technology and other support service providers with which we maintain an arrangement may also have access to your Personal Information. We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties, other than in connection with a merger, sale, or other transfer of organizational assets where Personal Information held by us about our clients is among the assets transferred.
We may from time to time disclose your Personal Information for the following reasons:
- to fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information and for our everyday business purposes, such as to obtain quotations for insurance or other insurance or financial industry services (including those procured proactively and/or in connection with the movement of a book of business from one provider to another) on your behalf; to obtain insurance (or similar products) on your behalf or to facilitate the performance of related services by other industry service providers; to maintain or service your account or insurance, including by reporting claims of loss to other industry service providers, such as insurance carriers and adjusters; to evaluate our performance or offerings; and to make reports to credit bureaus. We may also save your information to facilitate new quotations or placements.
- for legal reasons, such as to make required or advisable reports to insurance regulatory, law enforcement or other similarly situated authorities; to respond to and comply with court orders, applicable law and other legal requirements; and to defend ourselves against claims and to enforce our rights or protect our employees or property.
- for our own marketing purposes so that we may offer you our products and services, including through the use of targeted or similar advertising on the internet.
- for joint marketing purposes so that we and any third party product or service provider may together offer you products and VIU by Hub and its affiliated entities, including its subsidiaries (“affiliates”) will not rent or redistribute your Personal Information without your consent, unless legally required to do so.
- for our affiliates’ everyday business purposes, such as to process or service transactions or to provide or receive shared organizational services. VIU by Hub and its affiliates will not rent or redistribute your Personal Information without your consent, unless legally required to do so.
- for our affiliates’ marketing purposes so that they may offer you their products and services.
- for other purposes as may be permitted by law.
However, we will only disclose your decision to opt-in to receive text message (SMS) marketing with affiliates or other third parties if we obtain your consent, or if we are legally required to make such a disclosure.
To Limit Our Disclosure of Information
To limit our disclosure of your Personal Information with affiliates or non-affiliates for marketing purposes (and for any other purpose which applicable law provides you a right to require us to limit our sharing of your Personal Information), you may at any time submit a request to us by:
California Residents: You may have additional rights concerning the disclosure or sharing of Personal Information under California privacy laws. See the VIU by Hub Privacy Notice for California Residents for more information.
Other Important Website Information
Our websites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information through our websites, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this website or otherwise provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13 without parental consent, please contact us at the mailing address shown beneath the heading “Your Right to Review Your Information.”
Information Security Practices
We maintain technical and organizational security measures reasonably designed to protect the security of your Personal Information against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or alteration. VIU by Hub and its affiliates take steps in accordance with the Systems Information and Standards of our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics to secure your Personal Information with appropriate levels of security around storage and use. Despite this, the security of information cannot be guaranteed. If you have reason to believe that your Personal Information maintained by us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us utilizing contact information set forth below. In the event of a breach impacting your Personal Information, we intend to provide you with notification to the extent required by applicable law.
Your Right to Review Your Information
You may have the right to review your Personal Information that we could reasonably locate and retrieve, and to request that we correct, amend, or delete any inaccurate information. To make a related request, or to ask any question concerning this Policy, you can write us at:
Chief Legal Officer
Hub International Limited
150 N Riverside Plaza, 17th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
- Calling us at 866-415-2207
- Emailing us at: [email protected]
- Visiting the HUB Consumer Sharing Opt Out Portal
Please include your name, address, telephone number and email address whenever you contact us, including by email. This helps us handle your request correctly and allows us to verify your identity to protect your information.
As noted above, California Residents may have additional rights concerning the disclosure or sharing of Personal Information under California privacy laws. See the VIU by Hub Privacy Notice for California Residents for more information.
As noted above, residents in Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, Virginia may also have additional rights regarding the right to know, access, correct, transfer, restrict the processing of, and delete certain Personal Information and should exercise such rights by contacting the phone number or email address listed above.
Situations Where Rights Cannot Be Granted. There may be situations where we cannot grant a particular request — for example, if you ask us to delete your transaction data but we are legally obligated to keep a record of that transaction to comply with law or if we are unable to verify your identity through standard and reasonable requirements. We may also decline to grant a request where doing so would undermine our legitimate use of data for antifraud and security purposes, such as when you request deletion of an account that is being investigated for security concerns. Other reasons your privacy request may be denied could be that granting the request would jeopardize the privacy of others; that the request is substantively frivolous or vexatious; or that granting the request would be highly impractical in the context of our legitimate business purposes.