Newark Car Insurance

Find the best Newark car insurance for your needs.
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.

Drive With Confidence in Newark

With a population of just over 30,000 residents. Newark has a diversified economy, although the University of Delaware commands a central presence. For this reason, the city has a higher-than-average percentage of 20% of commuters who walk, bike or use public transportation. This still leaves more than 80% of people who rely on a personal vehicle and need good car insurance.

With an average commute time of 22 minutes, you need to drive carefully in this dense, urban environment. No matter where you drive, your route will probably take you on Delaware Route 896 or Delaware Route 72 from time to time. These major thoroughfares pose perils such as high traffic counts and high speeds.

Finding the right coverage for car insurance in Newark helps you manage the formidable risks of the road. Adequate coverage lets you enjoy this lively city where it is, according to a popular saying, "a new day every day!"

The Road to Excellent Value

The best Newark car insurance for your needs gives you solid protection at a fair price. To get to that point, it helps to understand a few things about auto coverage. First, Delaware law requires all owners of vehicles to have at least minimum coverage. Second, you can explore VIU by HUB, an online tool that lets you compare quotes from multiple insurers.

Third, you should know that where you live influences what you pay for auto insurance. Newark's average full coverage policy runs about $2,000 a year, just under the national average. Minimum coverage costs just under $1,000 a year. What you pay for a policy will depend upon many factors:

  • Your age
  • The number of vehicles you own
  • The value of your autos
  • Your driving history
  • Your credit history

The Possibilities of Strong Car Insurance

A full coverage policy provides you with a wide net of protection. With appropriate coverage levels, you could face only minor expenses if you have an accident. A strong auto policy puts powerful protections in place.

Personal Liability

If you cause an accident in Delaware, you could face a lawsuit that compels you to pay property damages and medical bills. This can quickly add up. With liability coverage, you significantly reduce your exposure to costly legal action.


With more than 11,400 property damage accidents each year in New Castle County, the location of Newark, collisions happen with alarming frequency. This coverage pays for property damage from a collision with another vehicle or with a stationary object or in the case of a single-accident rollover.


This important coverage pays for vehicle damage as a result of theft and vandalism or from hitting an animal while driving. It also typically pays for repairs to your windshield and many types of weather damage to a parked vehicle.

The Risks of Driving in Newark

The Newark area has a similar set of risks as those found throughout Delaware. The main cause of accidents remains human error. A state report shows driver inattention as the leading cause of road accidents, followed by tailgating practices, failing to yield right of way and hitting an animal in the road. Good Newark car insurance provides essential coverage from a variety of perils.

To get the best coverage at competitive rates, make sure to visit VIU by HUB. After providing some information about your driving profile, you can quickly compare quotes from multiple insurers and see what they have to offer.

This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.


US Census Bureau

Auto insurance in Delaware by city

Understand risks, minimum state coverage requirements, average costs and other specifics that can impact auto insurance policies and premium rates in your city.