Home Insurance in Urbandale, IA
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Purchasing Home Insurance in Urbandale, Iowa
Urbandale is a small suburban town in Iowa that shares a border with the capital city of Des Moines. According to bestplaces.net, this growing town was ranked the second safest city in the state and was home to nearly 45,000 people in 2020. With numerous museums, walking paths, outdoor parks, and children’s activities, it's easy to see why this valley is experiencing a lot of growth.
Protect Your House with Home Insurance
The below-average cost of living in this area makes it easier for people to qualify for homeownership. When you purchase a house, you must safeguard your investment with insurance. VIU by HUB offers many different options for home insurance in Urbandale, IA. It’s necessary to understand the options available to you so you choose the policy that best fits your needs.
Understand Standard Home Insurance Policies
Though Iowa doesn’t mandate that you have insurance on your home, many mortgage companies require it. Fortunately, when you purchase home insurance in Urbandale, IA, you can expect that a standard policy automatically covers most types of damage to your home.
- Weather – Urbandale experiences a wide variety of weather throughout the year. During the spring and summer, thunderstorms produce strong straight-line winds, heavy rain and hail. These storms may knock trees or limbs onto your home, causing damage to the roof and the interior of your house. Hail can also break windows and dent metal or plastic outbuildings. Winter may bring the occasional snow or ice storm, which can wreak havoc on your roof. If storms damage your home or property, rest assured that insurance from VIU by HUB covers these losses.
- Natural Disasters – Iowa rests on the northern edge of tornado alley. Though F4 and F5 twisters don’t usually make it to the Urbandale area, they have occurred during the last 50 years. City-data.com rates this town as having a 108% greater chance of having a tornado than the average American city. Fortunately, twister damage is a covered loss under your home insurance in Urbandale, IA. You can collect the cost of repairing your home and replacing your belongings.
- Fire – A fire can start from a candle getting knocked over, faulty wiring or a clogged dryer vent. No matter how a blaze starts or how much damage it does to your home, we cover the costs to fix it.
- Theft – Even though the crime rate is low in this city, non-auto theft and burglary are 86% of the reported complaints. If you experience a loss because someone breaks into your home or steals property from your house, insurance helps you recoup your losses and repair the damage to your home.
Request Extra Coverage for Specialty Items
Your home insurance in Urbandale, IA, covers the cost of replacing your belongings if they are damaged or stolen. Some policies calculate replacement value based on how much the item costs to purchase new at the time of the claim, while others determine the amount based on the cost of the item minus depreciation. Each policy also limits the amount paid out, which may not cover the cost of everything you need to replace, especially if you have expensive pieces. If you have any of the following, you should expect to add higher limits or additional declarations to your policy:
- Precious metals or stones and expensive jewelry
- High valued art
- Coin collections
- Top of the line computers
- China and silver
- Medical devices
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.