Home Insurance in Raleigh, NC
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Protect Your New House With the Right Home Insurance for Raleigh
As the capital of North Carolina and the home of 10 universities, Raleigh is the state’s central hub for politics and education. It also offers a wealth of outdoor and recreational activities. Living in this city provides residents with endless opportunities in careers and fun. Housing list prices are on the rise, making a house a good investment. Whether you live close to all the action downtown or near one of the many institutes of higher education, find the right kind of home insurance Raleigh, NC to protect your home.
Understanding the Risks in Raleigh
Raleigh isn’t in the direct line of fire for the state’s numerous hurricanes, but the city does receive significant weather when one strikes the coast. Tornadoes, heavy rainfall and winter weather can all lead to a natural disaster that may damage your home. As you look for home insurance in Raleigh, North Carolina, understanding your risks helps you choose the right coverage. Your risks may include:
- Flooding: Flood events from heavy rains and coastal hurricanes are not uncommon. When Raleigh floods, it can cause significant water damage to impacted homes.
- Strong winds: The city sees its fair share of windy weather, which can rip off roof shingles and damage siding. Trees that sit adjacent to the house create additional risks in windy weather.
- Freezing temperatures: Though severe winter weather is infrequent in this part of the state, it can occur. When the temperature dips below freezing for an extended time, water pipes can freeze and may burst.
- Fire: Whether caused by a lightning strike or faulty electrical wiring, house fires can be devastating and lead to smoke, fire and water damage. There is the potential for catastrophic losses.
- Theft and vandalism: Incidents of property crime in Raleigh can fluctuate significantly. Ensure your home is protected with an alarm system and adequate insurance coverage.
- Earthquakes: The city has experienced tremors from five earthquakes in the past two decades. Those these aren’t severe incidents, even a small shake can cause structural damage.
Home insurance is not a legal requirement for Raleigh homeowners. However, almost all mortgage companies do require it. Make sure you get the right kind of coverage for your property and risks.
Procuring Sufficient Coverage
You may think that all comprehensive policies are the same, but there are differences between providers in how much coverage is offered, what options you have, and what your limits, deductibles and premiums are. A VIU by HUB broker can help you find the best deal on your insurance policy.
A standard home insurance Raleigh policy should cover the exterior and interior of your home for damages due to fire, smoke, wind, hail and property crimes. It should also provide for the replacement value of your home if you experience a total loss. Our brokers will also make sure you have liability protection.
Considering Additional Protections
A typical comprehensive policy for home insurance in Raleigh, NC does not protect you from the risks you face here. Though hurricanes and floods strike the region, a standard policy does not offer coverage for these events. If you want to ensure you are protected, talk to your broker about adding a named-peril policy for your home.
Though personal possessions are usually covered, your insurance might not be sufficient to replace everything in your home if you have a major incident. A VIU by HUB broker can help you determine what amount of coverage you need and find a policy that fits.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.