Home Insurance in Grand Junction, CO
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Understanding and Purchasing Home Insurance in Grand Junction, CO
As the 15th most populous city in the state of Colorado, Grand Junction has always been ranked as one of the best places to live. With a mild climate and close access to a variety of outdoor recreational experiences, it makes a great place to work, raise a family or retire to. Whether you live up near the airport, down along the Gunnison River or Colorado River, or on the way out of town near Mt. Garfield, home insurance in Grand Junction, CO, is an essential part of home ownership.
Risks to Know About
Grand Junction has a mild climate for being a city in Colorado, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its share of risks. As a homeowner, some of the most dangerous threats you face include:
- Wildfires – Most particularly on the Western Slope, you run the risk of fire. These are typically started as wildfires which then spread to homes in the area. Just as damaging to your home as the fire, you’ll have to deal with smoke and water damage as well.
- Floods – The most flooding that happens in Grand Junction is near the Colorado River. When spring runoff from the mountains takes over, it can cause some serious damage to the surrounding homes.
- Theft – The burglary rate in Grand Junction is higher than the national average, even though the state burglary rate is lower than the national average. At 5.97 burglaries per 1,000 residences, you can see why home insurance in Grand Junction, CO, is important to recover your losses.
- Tornadoes – With the average number of tornadoes in Colorado hovering around 50, you can’t be too careful. There are other severe weather events such as snowstorms and strong winds that you should protect against as well.
Something to keep in mind is home insurance in Grand Junction, CO, typically covers risks such as fire and smoke damage, theft, broken windows, and wind damage. It doesn’t typically cover flood damage. Especially if you live near the Colorado River and run a higher risk of flooding, or if you just want to be careful, you should investigate an extra policy that will cover flood damage.
Types of Home Insurance in Grand Junction, CO
Although there are some generic home insurance policies out there, you can also tailor them quite specifically to what you need and want. Home insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but if you’re taking a loan from a bank or other financial institution, they may require you have proper coverage. The following are some possible types of insurance coverage you might include in your policy:
- Basic or Named Perils – This type of policy will cover your actual home and personal property, but only for named perils. This may be how you’d include flood damage in your home insurance policy.
- Broad – A broad policy covers the physical damage and loss of your home, as well as personal property against specific named perils.
- Comprehensive – As the most extensive type of coverage, a comprehensive policy protects your home’s structure and any personal property from almost all losses and perils. There are some exceptions, such as flooding, but those will be obviously excluded from the policy.
- No Frills – In most cases, a no-frills policy won’t meet the standards of underwriting, but it is a basic policy if you’re one of the lucky few who are able to pay for your home without the help of a financial institution.
What We Can Do for You
At VIU by HUB, we are committed to helping you find discounts and competitive prices for home insurance in Grand Junction, CO. Some things that will help you save on insurance include increasing your deductible, bundling different types of policies, refraining from making a claim, getting a senior citizen discount and more. Let us show you how easy it is to find the right policy for your home.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.