Home Insurance in Downers Grove, IL
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
The Right Downers Grove, Illinois, (IL) Home Insurance
Downers Grove, Illinois, (IL) is a unique suburb. Situated southwest of Chicago, Downers Grove contains a variety of home styles, some dating back to the mid-19th century. This variety of housing even includes classic Sears-Roebuck Catalog Homes. These homes are were sold as mail order kits and built primarily in the early to mid-1900s.
With this diverse array of homes and housing styles, it’s essential to find Downers Grove home insurance that fits your needs. Cookie-cutter insurance policies won’t cut it. At VIU by HUB, our Downers Grove, IL home insurance brokers will work with you to assess the risks associated with homeownership and help guide as to which policy best protects your home.
The Risks of Home Ownership
Downers Grove is as Midwest as Midwest can be. You won’t face hurricanes or earthquakes here, but it’s no joke when Chicagoans say the area experiences all four seasons and usually within the same day, too.
So, to make sure you’re protected by your Downers Grove, IL home insurance, you should understand the risks your home faces:
- Cold temperatures: Frozen water pipes are a common concern due to winter’s harsh arrival.
- Hot temperatures: Extreme heat can warp some building materials or incur power outages that cause further damage when combined with pounding rains or flood water.
- Fire: Fires can happen in any home and cause damage through flames, smoke, and extinguishing water.
- Flooding: Downers Grove’s older homes are often at risk for teardown projects, which then impact their neighbor’s property due to poor irrigation and lack of flood protection measures.
- Theft: Downers Grove, IL is widely regarded as a safe town. However, there have been notable sprees of break-ins over the past decade.
- Wind: Strong winds can wreak havoc to homes and damage roofs and exterior walls.
The Ins and Outs of Downers Grove Home Insurance
All home insurance policies are different. So, it’s essential to know what your Downers Grove home insurance protects you against. Ideally, your policy should protect against you more than just the basics of broken windows, theft, and extreme weather. However, adding more protections may also increase your premiums.
Typically, your Downers Grove, IL home insurance policy will also cover your personal property within the home. Make sure to double-check, though, whether your policy also includes relocation expenses should you be forced from your home, as well as personal liability protection. The latter will cover any physical injury that occurs on your property.
The Different Types of Home Ownership
Unlike auto insurance, home insurance isn’t usually required by law. However, depending on the mortgage, your lender may require it to help lower their risk, too.
Generally, there are four types of Downers Grove home insurance you should consider:
- No Frills: This is the most basic form of home insurance, and it may not meet the requirements set forth by your mortgage lender.
- Basic or Named Perils: This home insurance will cover your home and personal property for specifically named perils.
- Broad: This policy will usually insure your home for physical damage and loss unless the damage is done by any listed exclusions. Personal property is also protected, but only against specific perils.
- Comprehensive: This is the most extensive form of home insurance, as well as the most expensive. However, it will cover your Downers Grove home from most perils or losses, unless specifically stated otherwise.
You deserve Downers Grove home, IL insurance that protects you and fits your needs. Make sure the policy you pick aligns with both considerations.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.