Home Insurance in Asheville, NC
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Find the Best Asheville Homeowners Insurance for Your Home
Located in the mountains of western North Carolina, Asheville is a beautiful place to call home and a great city for establishing roots. There is plenty to do in the area, from outdoor adventures to cultural outlets. Median home prices are above the NC average, and the market is competitive. Whether you’ve found a place in the historic and happening Montford neighborhood or a Spanish-style villa in North Asheville, you want to protect your investment with the best Asheville, NC homeowners insurance.
Homeowner Risks in Asheville, North Carolina
The area’s mountains offer a level of protection from severe weather events in the city. Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are relatively rare, but afternoon thunderstorms are common in the summer. Spring can bring weather that changes rapidly from day-to-day and even within a single 24-hour period. Winter brings snow to the city, and early fall may see. tropical rains and storms. As a homeowner, you need to be aware of the following risks to your house:
- Flooding: Asheville is at significant risk for flooding. The terrain and the French Broad River both contribute to an increased vulnerability for flood damage in Asheville.
- Strong winds: Wind can damage your roof and siding, and if you have trees located adjacent to your house, your risks are higher.
- Freezing temperatures: It does get cold in the city, and temperatures can drop below freezing. When this happens, the water in pipes can freeze, causing them to burst.
- Fire: Fires can be devastating, with both flames and smoke doing irreparable damage. Electrical system malfunctions, candles, fireplaces and lightning are all potential sources for a house fire.
- Theft and vandalism: Property crimes in Asheville are not entirely uncommon. Burglaries and thefts are both on the rise. Even if you have alarm systems in place, you need to be aware of the potential risks from theft and vandalism.
- Earthquakes: Earthquakes are rare, but they have occurred in the past. Small tremors are enough to do some damage.
You are not legally obligated to carry Asheville, NC homeowners insurance, but mortgage companies almost always require it. Make sure you get the coverage you need for the risks you face.
Asheville Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Most policies offer similar coverages, but they do not all provide the same level of protection. You don’t want to assume any particular risk is provided for in your policy, so check to make sure your policy provides coverage for interior and exterior damage due to lightning strikes, fire and smoke, wind, hail and theft.
Asheville homeowners insurance needs to offer the replacement value of your house if you experience a total loss. Most policies cover personal possession losses to some extent. Check for liability coverage, which protects you when someone is injured or there is third-party property damage on your property.
Considerations for Coverage
You may be surprised to find out that your comprehensive insurance policy does not protect your home for every peril you may experience. It may also lack sufficient coverage for your possessions or your home’s full value. At VIU by HUB, we help you find the right level of protection for your investment. Though floods are a significant risk, flood damage is not covered in a standard Asheville, NC homeowners insurance policy and must be purchased separately in a named peril policy.
Typically, your personal property is covered in a comprehensive insurance policy. However, coverage is generally equal to anywhere from 20% to 50% of the limits established for your home. If you don’t find this sufficient to replace everything of value in your house, you may want to consider adding extra coverage.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.