Home Insurance in Akron, OH
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Protect Your Akron Home
Once considered the rubber capital of the world, Akron’s economy has pivoted strongly from its industrial path to one driven by technological innovation. Yes, Goodyear and Bridgestone still operate out of the city, but they’ve developed research and development laboratories to help bring scientists, thought leaders, and others to the area.
As Akron’s economy undergoes these changes, this new population of residents deserves to have their homes protected the same as longtime residents with RubberDucks season tickets do. Whether you’re new to the city or a longtime resident, our brokers at VIU by HUB can help you find the right homeowner’s insurance in Akron to ensure that you and your family are protected.
What Risks Does Your Akron Home Face?
Akron’s presence in the Midwest means it experiences all four seasons – sometimes, it feels, all on the same day. This makes weather a special concern for homeowners, along with other risks:
- Fire: Fires can occur at any time and place. The flames, unfortunately, are not the only thing to fear, as the resulting smoke damage and standing water from putting out the fire can lead your home dirty and susceptible to mold if not destroyed.
- Floods: Downtown Akron is centered on the Ohio and Erie Canal. During strong storms or heavy precipitation events, flooding is possible. Standing water can ruin personal effects, incur mold and mildew, and cause structural integrity issues.
- Theft and vandalism: Weather isn’t the only potential risk your home faces. Theft and vandalism are possible, and if you’re not taking steps to protect your home or if you live in a luxurious neighborhood, you may be especially vulnerable.
- Tornadoes: Akron experiences tornadoes at a higher-than-average rate when compared to both the state of Ohio and the country at large. Tornadoes are destructive, often ripping homes to pieces and decimated entire neighborhoods.
What Does Your Current Akron Homeowners Insurance Include?
If you already own a home in the city, you probably already have homeowners’ insurance in Akron, OH. However, do you know what it covers? This is an important question to answer, as many policies may omit critical protections from risks such as flood damage.
Additionally, you should check that your policy covers your personal effects. Appliances, furniture, and electronics are all susceptible to damage and expensive to replace and repair.
What Types of Homeowners Insurance Are Available in Akron?
Unlike auto insurance, homeowners’ insurance isn’t typically a legal requirement. However, your lender or mortgage company may require a certain level of coverage to help cover the risk of their loan. When choosing a homeowners policy in Akron, Ohio, you’ll generally have several coverage options:
- No-frills policies offer basic coverage for your home. However, if you have a mortgage on your home, the lender will typically require a higher level of coverage.
- Basic, or named perils, is an insurance option that protects your home from specifically named perils. This is a step above no-frills coverage, but you may be left without protection in many cases.
- Broad coverage is perhaps the most common among homeowners. It serves as a middle ground between basic and comprehensive coverage.
- Comprehensive policies are the most extensive and expensive form of homeowners insurance in Akron. You’ll likely be protected against most risks, though there still may be some specifically named exclusions.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.