Home Insurance in Cleveland, OH
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
There’s no place like home and this is certainly true for the 3.5 million+ people who live in Greater Cleveland. The city proper is the second largest in the state of Ohio and flanks Lake Erie, which is also a maritime border between the United States and Canada. There’s a lot to see and be in a town like Cleveland which has professional sports teams in football, basketball, baseball, soccer and hockey. Located on the Cuyahoga River, Cleveland became an economic powerhouse in manufacturing thanks to being a major transportation hub. Today, the area’s economy is not just based on manufacturing but also financial services, healthcare, biomedicals, and higher education. Even if you aren’t enjoying a well-made Polish boy sandwich, it’s not hard to see that Cleveland rocks.
Locals and visitors can find plenty to do in the Forest City. The Cleveland Metroparks and the Cleveland Botanical Gardens are ideal settings for enjoying the city’s alfresco offerings. The city is home to the Cleveland Orchestra, widely considered one of the finest orchestras in the world. If you’re looking to swap out violins with more electrified string instruments, you should check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, also located here. This corner of the Buckeye State is a great place to live. With home prices averaging around $91,000 and rapidly climbing, the need for good home insurance in Cleveland becomes more apparent each year.
Coverage You Can Use
A home insurance policy spares you from having to pay certain damages out of pocket when it comes to your house. Your home insurance in Cleveland, OH should offer the following coverages:
- Repair and Replacement Costs: A lender will usually require you to insure the home for at least the total cost of the mortgage. Most policies require that you insure at least 80% of the cost of the home. A guaranteed replacement cost policy covers up to 100% of the cost to replace your home, strongly recommended to defend against underinsured your home.
- Personal liability: Home insurance in Cleveland, OH will protect you against claims or lawsuits regarding bodily injury or property damage caused by your negligence. This coverage also pays for medical bills to third parties, such as visitors. A typical policy provides coverage of $100,000, $1,000 and $500 for personal liability, medical payments and other property respectively.
- Personal property: The tangible assets inside your home are also protected from loss due to theft, vandalism and other specified damage. Certain high-value items such as jewelry will require separate limits to be spelled out in your policy for home insurance in Cleveland, OH.
Know the Value
When shopping for home insurance in Cleveland, Ohio, consider the following types of proposed policies
- Actual cash value: This applies to a policy based on the original cost of your property or the items therein. It accounts for depreciation in value over time. Actual cash value policies usually have the lowest premiums.
- Replacement cost value: This is a more expensive policy that does not factor in depreciation when it comes to replacing your property and your belongings.
When settling on a plan for home insurance in Cleveland, OH, it’s important to understand the liability limit, the premium and the deductible. The liability limit is the dollar value of coverage provided by your policy and it corresponds with either the actual cash value or replacement cost value of your property and possessions. The premium is the price you pay to maintain home insurance in Cleveland, OH. If you’re paying a mortgage, usually your premium is included with the monthly payment that includes your principal, interest and property taxes. If you ever experience a covered peril or loss, the deductible is a flat value that is taken out of a payout. Higher premiums usually come with lower deductibles and vice versa.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.