Auto Insurance in Portland, OR
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Why Get Car Insurance in Portland?
With a population of over 650,000 residents, Portland is Oregon's largest city. Situated in the shadow of picturesque Mount Hood, between the Columbia and Willamette rivers, Portland is a beautiful city known for its parks, liberal ideology, and outdoor lifestyle. The city is also known for its thriving arts and music scenes and the eco-friendliness and open-mindedness of its residents.
While Portland is an excellent location for young professionals, it is also a good place for families because of its excellent school system and affordability. While Portland does have a public transportation system, most residents own vehicles. The high concentration of cars in the area makes collisions common. Car insurance is required to operate a vehicle in every U.S. state legally, and purchasing a comprehensive policy is an essential financial tool. Car insurance Portland, OR is designed to protect you, other motorists, and property in case of a car accident.
Get Car Insurance Portland, OR To Protect Your Family and Car
There are approximately 10,000 reported car accidents each year in Portland. According to the Portland Police Bureau, there are roughly 100 car accident injuries a day in the area, making the city one of the most dangerous places to operate a vehicle in the Pacific Northwest. The following errors are the most common reasons for car accidents in Oregon:
- Driver did not have the right of way
- Speeding or driving too fast in unsafe conditions
- Failure to avoid a stalled or stopped vehicle
- Following too close
- Failure to stay in the correct lane
Having the correct coverage levels can protect your family and help mitigate the risks of driving a motor vehicle in Portland.
Recommended Car Insurance Portland, OR Coverage for Residents
A car insurance policy combines various types of coverage into one plan. The five most common types of insurance are liability coverage, comprehensive coverage, collision coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, and medical payments. Oregon law requires motorists to cover bodily injury and property damage liability coverage. Other types of coverage are optional. Here is an overview of the types of car insurance Portland, OR available:
- Liability insurance: Liability insurance is required by Oregon law to drive or register a motor vehicle legally. If you cause an accident, liability coverage pays for the injured parties' bodily injury and property damage claims. People covered by liability insurance include the driver and passengers of the other vehicle and pedestrians injured. Keep in mind this coverage does not pay for the medical costs or property damage for you or your passengers. Oregon law dictates the minimum liability coverage you must carry, but it is recommended to increase your coverage if financially feasible.
- Collision coverage: Collision coverage is not required by Oregon law but is typically required by your finance company if you buy or lease a car. This type of insurance covers any damage caused to your vehicle in the event of an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: Comprehensive coverage is not required by law but is sometimes required by your finance company before buying a vehicle. This type of coverage covers incidents other than a car crash, such as fire damage, vandalism, theft, or damage caused by natural disasters.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This type of coverage provides compensation for your medical bills if you are involved in a car accident with a motorist who does not carry the proper insurance. Uninsured coverage will not cover expenses if you are the cause of the crash.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.