Auto Insurance in Cedar Rapids, IA
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
A City for All Seasons
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (IA) is in Eastern Iowa along the Cedar River. It is home to over 135,000 residents, making it the second-largest city in the Hawkeye State. Greater Cedar Rapids pushes that number up to over 255,000. The city serves as an economic hub of the state, located along the Interstate 380 corridor. Cedar Rapids is nicknamed the “City of Five Seasons.” This “fifth season” refers to the time to enjoy the other four seasons. The “Tree of Five Seasons” sculpture is in Downtown Cedar Rapids and many representations of it can be found throughout the city. Cedar Rapids has a proud legacy in commerce thanks to the development of railroads in the area. It is one of the largest cities for processing corn. Major companies such as Collins Aerospace, CRST, Aegon, General Mills and Nordstrom have major operations within the City of Five Seasons.
Cedar Rapids, IA also stands as the cultural center of Eastern Iowa. Attractions such as the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, the Paramount Theatre, Orchestra Iowa, and the African American Museum of Iowa offer residents and visitors opportunities to take in arts and the culture. Sports enthusiasts can sink their teeth into franchises such as the Iowa Raptors FC, the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, and the Cedar Rapids Kernels, offering soccer, hockey, and baseball respectively. With over 74 parks and recreation centers in town, there’s a lot to see and do in Cedar Rapids. There are many paths to get to where you need to be when you have ground transportation. Get the lowdown on what it means to have car insurance in Cedar Rapids.
Local Insurance Requirements
Iowans are required to have liability insurance. If you own and operate a vehicle in the Hawkeye State, you could be subject to fines or rescinding of your license plates without insurance. There are many great adventures to experience in town, but it’s going to be hard to get there if your car is impounded for not having car insurance in Cedar Rapids. Beyond the fact that it’s the law, having car insurance in Cedar Rapids, IA makes sense. A typical auto policy offers the following protections:
- Collision: As the name suggests, this covers expenses related to replacing or repairing your vehicle as the result of a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive: If your car experiences any non-collision related losses such as vandalism, theft, and certain weather events, you’ll be glad to have this coverage.
- Bodily injury: This protection pays the medical bills for anyone involved in an accident that isn’t named on your policy. You’ll need to have at least $20,000 in coverage per person or $40,000 for two or more people within the state of Iowa.
- Personal injury: This covers the medical expenses for anyone named on your policy for car insurance in Cedar Rapids, IA. It may also cover lost income and funeral expenses.
- Property damage: The Hawkeye State requires drivers to carry at least $15,000 in liability protection for destruction to other property in an accident.
- Underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage: Whether you’re in a city the size of Cedar Rapids or one that is much larger or smaller, you may be involved in an accident with an at-fault driver who has too little insurance (underinsured) or none (uninsured). This protection takes care of associated costs.
These minimum coverage limits may not be sufficient, especially considering that the cost to replace a totaled automobile can easily exceed $50,000. It’s important to talk to a trusted source to help you find the right type of car insurance in Cedar Rapids, IA.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.