Auto Insurance in Dubuque, IA
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Driving in Dubuque, Iowa, (IA)
With a population nearing 60,000 and a location at the junction of two railroads and four major highways, Dubuque, Iowa, (IA) is known as a major hub in the Midwest. Most people who live in Dubuque rely on their vehicles for both entertainment and livelihood; 85% of Dubuque residents drive alone to work with a commute time of approximately 15 minutes. At VIU by HUB, we are perfectly positioned to assist you in obtaining car insurance in Dubuque, IA to protect yourself, your family, your property, and your income in the event of a collision or other catastrophic incident involving your vehicle.
Liability Car Insurance in Dubuque
Obtaining the correct auto insurance is critical for your property, safety, and peace of mind. It is also a legal requirement. Car insurance in Dubuque, IA contains the following primary parts to each policy:
- Bodily injury insurance, to protect against others' claims against an individual when they are at fault for an accident. These claims can include lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering. The state of Iowa requires the following amounts of bodily injury liability insurance:
- $20,000 to cover injury or death of a single individual in a single accident
- $40,000 to cover injury or death of two individuals in a single accident
- Property damage insurance, to pay for damages an individual may cause to others' property, including vehicles and things like equipment, walls, or fences. Iowa state law requires $15,000 to cover property damage or destruction in a single accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance, to protect an individual as the policy holder, paying if they are the victim of a hit-and-run or an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. While this type of insurance is not required in Iowa, it is strongly encouraged for your protection.
Factoring the Cost of Car Insurance Premiums
If you are shopping for car insurance, we at VIU by HUB are confident we have the knowledge of the Dubuque, IA area and the local presence required to best assist you. To help understand what affects your premium cost, here are some common factors that influence the cost of car insurance in Dubuque:
- Demographics, such as sex, age, and marital status
- Location: high crime rate and population density will cause your premium to increase.
- Automobile use: if an individual travels long distances daily, their premium will likely be higher than those who only drive sporadically.
- Car features: anti-lock brakes, side air bags, and a high safety rating will all lower your premium.
- Type of coverage: full coverage costs more than liability-only coverage due to the larger web of protection.
- Driving record: violations on an individual’s driving record will likely result in higher insurance premiums, as they are considered higher risk than drivers who are accident-free.
- Credit history: insurance companies look at credit history in calculating individual risk. With a history of unpaid debt or late payments, one’s credit score will be lower, which drives up the cost of your insurance premiums.
- Deductible structure: the level of deductible is an easy way to lower insurance premiums. If an individual agrees to pay a higher out-of-pocket cost when you are in an accident, the overall cost of their insurance premiums will be less. Bundling car insurance with other products from the same provider, such as home insurance, is another way to lower cost.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.