Auto Insurance in Ames, IA
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Drivers In Ames, Iowa, (IA) Need Insurance
When you drive in Story County or travel south to Des Moines, you should have auto liability coverage that meets state requirements. Iowans can also choose to get collision or more comprehensive car insurance policies. VIU by HUB insurance brokers assist customers with getting car insurance in Ames, Iowa, (IA) that meets or exceeds state minimum liability limits and can also suggest solutions for additional coverage. Learn more about requirements and options for more complete auto insurance coverage.
Iowa Auto Insurance Requirements
Drivers in Ames, IA need auto insurance that covers injury, death, and property damage. The state of Iowa does not require residents to maintain collision or comprehensive car insurance in Ames. Here are the minimum mandated amounts for automotive liability coverage:
- Injury of one person: Iowa requires every driver to carry at least $20,000 in coverage for causing the injury or death of one person while driving. You can also get a policy that has a higher personal liability limit.
- Injuries to more people: A $40,000 minimum limit is necessary for accidents that result in injuries to two or more people. Higher limits can be useful in the event of a multi-vehicle collision.
- Property damage or destruction: The state of Iowa also requires that drivers have a limit of at least $15,000 for damaging or destroying property that belongs to other parties. Policies with higher limits can reduce insured drivers’ levels of financial responsibility and liability.
Collision and Comprehensive Coverage
Most drivers prefer policies with liability limits that are considerably higher than the minimum coverage mandated by the Iowa state government. When you are shopping for car insurance in Ames, IA you should consider the type of policy that you need along with any additional benefits. Find out more about the available types of collision coverage and options for complete coverage:
- Actual cash value: Auto insurance policies that cover actual cash value account for depreciation in the value of vehicles. The payout of this type of policy may not be sufficient to purchase the same make and model of replacement vehicle.
- Agreed value: Classic cars and unique vehicles can be insured for values set by insurers and policyholders. Ask a VIU by HUB broker about the conditions of an agreed value policy.
- Replacement value: A car insurance policy that covers replacement value does not factor in depreciation. These policies may have higher premiums but can pay off should you need to replace a totaled vehicle.
- Electronic equipment: Many drivers install electronics in vehicles for audio, visual or navigational purposes. These devices are excluded from standard auto insurance policies, but electronic equipment coverage can reduce expenses related to damage and loss.
- Full glass: The safety glass in the windshield and rear windows of a vehicle can become damaged and pose security and visibility hazards. A VIU by HUB broker can recommend full glass coverage that does not require policyholders to pay deductibles.
- Towing and labor: You can avoid unexpected expenses for having your vehicle towed or obtaining roadside assistance by adding an option to your auto insurance policy. Ask a broker about any increase in premiums for this or other coverage choices.
A VIU by HUB broker can help you weigh the pros and cons of different types of coverage and policy options. The premiums you pay for car insurance in Ames, IA will vary based on policy limits and the comprehensiveness of coverage.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.