Auto Insurance in Brownsville, TX
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Cruise With Confidence When You Have Car Insurance in Brownsville TX
With a population of over 180,000, Brownsville is located right at the southern tip of Texas, along the Gulf Coast and the Mexican border. Its many attractions and semi-tropical climate not only delight residents but draw a lot of visitors to the area as well.
Though Brownsville is a very safe community when it comes to crime, traffic accidents are common. Car insurance in Brownsville TX protects you if you cause or contribute to a car accident, meaning that you don't have to pay the injured party out of your own pocket for property damage or bodily injury.
What Are the Biggest Driving Hazards in Brownsville?
Every year there are over 3,500 car accidents in Brownsville according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Here are some of the most common causes of car accidents in Brownsville:
- Brownsville's location on the border and along several major highways means that many accidents involve people who were just passing through to or from Mexico.
- The large interstates are also frequented by large trucks, which can cause serious accidents if they collide with smaller vehicles.
- Over 1,000 road deaths in Texas are caused by intoxicated drivers every year. These types of accidents are especially common over holidays and late at night.
- Both motorists and pedestrians are at risk from the significant stop-and-go traffic on Brownsville's busiest city streets.
- Rural roads around Brownsville can be dangerous too. Because the traffic is typically lighter, it can be easier for drivers to get distracted, and rainwater may accumulate during inclement weather.
The driver at fault for the accident is responsible for paying damages to the injured party or parties. Car insurance in Brownsville TX covers the damages if you are determined to be the at-fault driver.
How Much Car Insurance in Brownsville TX Are You Required To Have?
Texas state law requires you to carry car insurance on your vehicle and specifies the minimum amount of liability coverage you have to purchase:
- Property Damage: $25,000
- Bodily Injury Liability Per Person: $30,000
- Total Bodily Injury Liability When Two or More People Are Injured: $60,000
Note that these are just the minimum liability coverages of car insurance in Brownsville TX required by law. A serious accident could cause damages amounting to much more than these minimums. Therefore, you might want to consider purchasing more liability coverage than the required amounts.
What Other Coverages Should You Consider When Buying Car Insurance in Brownsville TX?
Unlike some states, the law in Texas does not require you to carry uninsured motorist coverage when you purchase car insurance. As an insurance company, we are required to offer it under Texas law, and it may be a good idea for you. Although it is illegal to drive without insurance in Texas, there is no way to enforce it unless the driver gets into an accident or commits another violation of traffic law. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if you are injured in an accident caused by a driver who turns out not to have insurance.
Another optional coverage that protects you if you are injured in an accident is personal injury protection. PIP coverage allows you to make a claim with us for your medical expenses following an accident regardless of who is at fault.
With a comprehensive car insurance policy that includes liability coverage, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage, you are protected in every possible scenario, whether you are at fault for an accident or you are the one injured.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.
Auto insurance in Texas by city
Understand risks, minimum state coverage requirements, average costs and other specifics that can impact auto insurance policies and premium rates in your city.
- Cedar Park
- College Station
- El Paso
- Flower Mound
- Fort Worth
- Grand Prairie
- New Braunfels
- North Richland Hills
- Round Rock
- San Angelo
- San Antonio
- San Marcos
- Sugar Land
- The Woodlands