Home Insurance in Carrollton, TX
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
The Best Home Insurance in Carrollton, TX
You worked hard for your home. From saving for a down payment to spending hours finding just the right financing to meet your needs, you put countless hours into purchasing the property that keeps your family safe and happy. Of course, you want to protect it the best you can. This means putting just as much effort into finding the right home insurance in Carrollton, TX.
Texas Home Insurance Laws
Homeowners are not required by law to have an insurance policy in the state of Texas. This means that someone without insurance won't face fines or other repercussions from the state. However, that isn't to say you won't need a policy. In fact, if you're still paying off your mortgage, your lender will likely require insurance as part of your loan terms. Even if your financer doesn't, the unexpected can be quite costly without it. Having home insurance in Carrollton protects your investments and may save you money in the long run.
Coverage Included in a Homeowner's Policy
Home insurance in Carrollton typically combines several types of policies into one coverage plan for one price. In Texas, expect your policy to cover six situations.
- Dwelling —This pays for damage or destruction of your house if something covered in your policy caused it.
- Loss of Use —This portion of your policy helps with expenses related to rent, food, and other things you may need to pay for while waiting for contractors to finish repairing your home.
- Medical Payments —This covers medical bills if somebody is hurt while on your property. In some cases, it also covers off-property situations, such as if your dog bites someone.
- Other Structures —If you have detached garages, fences, storage sheds, or other buildings on your property, be sure your policy covers other structures.
- Personal Liability —This part of your policy protects you if someone has medical bills, loses wages, or otherwise incurs costs related to an injury received on your property. It may also pay for damages you cause to someone else's property.
- Personal Property —This covers the items inside your house, such as clothing, furniture, or other valuables that were damaged or stolen.
It is important to note that your homeowner's policy is not all-encompassing. Most of the time, basic coverage won't pay for damage due to leaks or floods, pests, earthquakes, wind, hail, or basic wear and tear. Additionally, it won't cover losses related to theft if your home has been vacant for longer than your policy specifies.
Other Types of Insurance to Consider
Although your home insurance in Carrollton, TX covers quite a lot, it's still a good idea to purchase extra coverage to further ensure the safety of your home and possessions. Perhaps the biggest thing to consider is flood insurance. Heavy rains or even a burst pipe can quickly become a big and expensive problem if you don't have flood coverage. Remember, storms in Texas often come with high winds and hail, which requires an additional policy.
Finally, consider extra coverage in the form of endorsements. These available add-ons for your homeowner's policy protect you from a range of issues not covered under the basics. Endorsements are available for a range of situations.
- Fine-art or high-end jewelry or electronics
- Drain and sewage backup
- Foundation or slab damage
- Mold removal
- Earthquake damage
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.
Home insurance in Texas by city
Understand risks, minimum state coverage requirements, average costs and other specifics that can impact home insurance policies and premium rates in your city.
- Cedar Park
- College Station
- El Paso
- Flower Mound
- Fort Worth
- Grand Prairie
- New Braunfels
- North Richland Hills
- Round Rock
- San Angelo
- San Antonio
- San Marcos
- Sugar Land
- The Woodlands
- Wichita Falls