Auto Insurance in Raleigh, NC
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Hello from the City of Oaks
Raleigh is the second-largest city in the great state of North Carolina. It is one-third of what is known as the Research Triangle or the “Triangle” by locals, along with Durham and Chapel Hill. That should come as little surprise when you consider the higher learning heavyweights located in the region, including North Carolina State University, Duke University, North Carolina Central University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dubbed the “City of Oaks” for its abundance of oak trees, Raleigh is clearly the place to be for the scholarly minded and lifelong students of every stripe. With nearly 475,000 residents, Raleigh is one of the fastest-growing cities in the nation. Many roads to lead to this part of the Tar Heel State, and whether it’s by Interstate 40, Interstate 87 or US Highway 24, people are getting here as fast they can!
Raleighites enjoy more than fine institutions of higher learning. The city was named as one of Forbes Magazine’s best places to live. With industries in financial services, electrical, medical, electronic and telecommunications equipment, clothing and apparel, food processing, paper products, and pharmaceuticals, there’s a lot to see and be in Raleigh. Beyond work and education, locals and visitors alike can enjoy the offerings of the local museum scene which runs the gamut of focuses including art, history, natural sciences, African-American culture and even sports. Those who are into the performing arts can get into performances in theater, ballet, opera and symphony here. With all that there is to get into here, a reliable set of wheels is a must-have. Here’s what you should know about procuring auto insurance in Raleigh.
The Lowdown on Insurance
Residents of North Carolina are required to purchase liability insurance from an insurer that is certified to do business within the state. Going without auto insurance in Raleigh, NC isn’t an option. Carrying around the hundreds of thousands needed to cover losses from a collision or theft isn’t feasible or practical for most Raleighites. Having a policy that covers your out-of-pocket costs helps protect your assets and gives you peace of mind as you make your way around this region with well over 1 million residents. Failure to carry insurance can lead to costly fines, penalties and the revocation of your car’s license plate.
As you look into auto insurance in Raleigh, consider these standard protections offered:
- Collision: Pays for repair of damages to your car or complete replacement as a result of a collision
- Comprehensive: Covers losses from non-collision causes such as theft, weather events, vandalism and other perils as specified in your policy for auto insurance in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Bodily injury: Pays for medical expenses of other people involved in a claim who aren’t on your plan such as another driver, bicyclists or pedestrians
- Personal injury: Covers medical bills, lost income and funeral expenses for you and others in your household named on the policy
- Property damage: Damages to other property such as another vehicle, a building or anything that you hit
- Underinsured or uninsured motorist: Coverage for losses associated with a collision with another driver who either has too little liability insurance or none at all
Raleighites must have plans that cover at least $30,000 for one person or $60,000 for two or more people for bodily injury protection. There should also be a minimum of $25,000 in coverage for property damage.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.