Auto Insurance in York, PA
Compare, shop and customize quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
Living and Driving in York
York is an affordable area to live in, where residents own an average of one car per household and drive about 21 minutes to work each way. The nearest major city to York is Baltimore, which is nearly an hour away.
The professionals at VIU by HUB realize that your vehicle is important to your life in York, and we want to help you obtain the best car insurance your hard-earned money can buy.
Types of Car Insurance in York PA
There are many options for insuring your vehicle, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the number of decisions to be made. Here is a break down of the types of car insurance in York PA to give you a working knowledge of your choices before you meet with an agent.
- Liability: As a vehicle owner in the state of Pennsylvania, you are required by law to insure each registered vehicle with $15,000 in personal injury liability coverage and $5,000 in property liability coverage. Failure to comply can result in a $300 fine and suspension of your vehicle registration, plates, and drivers license.
- Personal Injury: State law in Pennsylvania requires drivers to hold a minimum of $5,000 in first party benefits, covering personal injury in the event of an accident.
- Comprehensive: With this policy, your vehicle is covered for damages incurred by incidents other than collisions, such as weather damage, theft, vandalism, or striking an animal in the road.
- Collision: This type of coverage protects your vehicle in the event of an accident with another vehicle or object, such as a tree or stop sign.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: While Pennsylvania does not require this insurance, it is highly encouraged. A driver who causes an accident and does not have liability insurance or only carries the minimum required amount may be unable to sufficiently cover your damages. In that instance, this car insurance in York PA would pay for your repairs or medical expenses.
Factors That Influence Insurance Premiums
Regardless of the coverage you choose for your car insurance in York PA, you will want to keep your premiums at a reasonable cost. To make that happen, it's important to understand the factors that are used to set insurance premiums. The following pieces are taken into consideration by insurance firms:
- Personal information: Your age, gender, and marital status can affect your insurance premiums. Very young and very old drivers are typically more expensive, as are males and single individuals because women and married people are statistically safer drivers.
- Type of car: The make and model of your car is significant in determining premiums. Luxury vehicles are typically more expensive to insure, and vehicles that are stolen more frequently also carry higher premiums.
- Types of coverages: The law requires you carry liability and PIP car insurance in York PA, but other types, such as comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage, are optional. Consider your driving habits, finances, lifestyle, and vehicle value when deciding what policy you need.
- Driving history: If you maintain an exemplary driving record, you will enjoy lower premium payments than those with multiple accidents and points on their license.
- Credit history: The law in Pennsylvania enables insurance companies to consult your credit score as a determining factor in your initial insurance premiums. However, they are unable to use changes in your credit score to penalize you.
- Deductible: Higher deductibles equate to larger cash out of your pocket in the event of an accident, but they also carry lower premiums. Conversely, lower deductibles enable you to file a claim for less severe incidents because of the lower amount you will pay out of pocket, but your monthly premiums will be higher.
This information is intended for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.
Auto insurance in Pennsylvania by city
Understand risks, minimum state coverage requirements, average costs and other specifics that can impact auto insurance policies and premium rates in your city.
- Allison Park
- Bethel Park
- Blue Bell
- Bryn Mawr
- Drexel Hill
- Fort Washington
- King Of Prussia
- Mount Lebanon
- Newton Square
- Penn Hills
- State College
- Westwood Heights
- Wilkes Barre